By design, XFL rosters are not consistent on a season-to-season basis. The specter of the National Football League looms over all organized football organizations in the United States.
The NFL represents the desired destination of all active professional football players. As such, all other pro leagues will anticipate the departures of their best players to NFL teams.
It is a unique element of placing XFL bets, as the combination of ingredients are certain to change each year. This year is no different, as several XFL players are now attempting to make the final rosters of NFL teams.
“The players that are coming from [the XFL/USFL] probably have a little bit of an advantage, in that they’re in good condition, they’ve been playing, their techniques or whatever at their position they’ve been working on, and they are maybe a little more proficient on those.”
New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick
The 2023-24 NFL season begins on September 7th, and the following players are the latest that have been signed to an NFL preseason roster in hopes of making the team.
- The New England Patriots: Linebacker Carson Wells played for the St. Louis Battlehawks in 2023 and is now “battling” for a roster spot in New England. Wells had been invited in for a tryout in June and now has an outside shot at making the final cut if he can impress coach Belichick this Friday against the Tennessee Titans.
- The Denver Broncos: Denver has signed former DC Defenders wide receiver Josh Hammond in response to a meniscus injury to Jalen Virgil that will keep him out for months. In 10 games with DC in 2023, Hammond caught 31 receptions for 331 yards and a touchdown.
- The Minnesota Vikings: Former DC Defenders and St. Louis Battlehawks QB Jordan Ta’amu has been signed by the Vikings. Ta’amu led the USFL in passing yards as a member of the Tampa Bay Bandits in 2022 and was named the XFL’s offensive player of the year in 2023. He is a long shot to make the team and is likely just an extra body to help round out the final week of the preseason.
- The Green Bay Packers: Former Battlehawks cornerback Elijah Hamilton has signed with the Packers, as well as linebacker Marvin Pierre, who was drafted by the Houston Roughnecks in 2023 but didn’t play.
- The Kansas City Chiefs: KC has signed WR Juwan Green, who last played for the Seattle Sea Dragons. Green hauled in 29 catches for 420 yards (11th most in 2023) and 6 touchdowns (tied for 2nd in 2023) this year.
- The Buffalo Bills: Garrett McGhin, a former Arlington Renegades offensive lineman, has signed with the Bills.
If any of the above players are cut prior to spring 2024, they can resume activity with their 2023 XFL team if contracted.